Sat 5th May match report

Adult cricket

1st XI v OT's & Romsey III's at East Tytherley CC - Game cancelled outfield still too wet for a roller!


The first league game of the season brought Farley II to Langford on a beautiful sunny day. The wicket and the outfield looked a picture despite the recent bad weather and the slight lack of preparation time. With the hot sun the pitch was only going to better over time so when home captain Chris Miles won the toss he invited Farley to bat.

Liam Harvey opened from the bungalow end with Miles opening from the Rainbow end. Both settled quickly into a nice line and length with the Farley batsmen finding it hard to get the ball away. Miles was particularly miserly conceding only 8 runs in his 8 overs but with only 1 wicket for his efforts. At drinks the game was evenly poised with Langford having restricted Farley to just 54 runs but with the batting team still having 9 wickets in hand. Gary Smith (2 for 42) and the returning Raj Kumar (1 for 44) were the first change bowlers and the scoring rate started to increase. The batsmen were also starting to take greater risks to speed things up so wickets also began to fall. Darren Harvey replaced Kumar and worked his way through the lower middle order and tail to return fine figures of 4 for 15 from his 8 overs. Liam Harvey (1 for 31) returned to complete the innings and should have had a further wicket if it were not for a simple dropped catch from captain Miles which cost Langford an extra bowling point and gifted Farley an extra batting point. At the end of the 40 overs Farley were 154 for 9.

After a leisurely tea (a benefit of matches now starting at 1o/c rather than 2o/c), the Langford openers of Adi Hughes and Raj Kumar strode out keen to knock off the modest total required for victory. However, as seems so typical of Langford batting, things didn’t go quite according to plan. Kumar quickly returned to the pavilion before Hughes and Gary Smith started to get things moving nicely. Hughes in particular looked very threatening racing to 31 by the 9th over before unfortunately running himself out. Even though, at 51 for 2 with 30 overs remaining, Langford were still confident. That confidence didn’t last long though as the Farley bowlers took the pace off the ball and the Langford batsmen started finding the fielder’s hands. A couple of LBW decisions by the home umpire led to some ‘debate’ in the bar afterwards but with Smith (10) being the only other batsman to reach double figures, the Langford innings fizzled out to a disappointing 81 all out.

Not what was hoped for or expected but nobody said it would be easy in a higher league following promotion last season.